Dubai Before and After


Or Dubai after and before: it's a somewhat jaw-dropping look at the Sheikh Zayed Road, prior to and after the recent building boom. Photographer and source unknown. (If you know, leave a comment). And, with any luck, more on Dubai soon.

Comments are moderated.

If it's not spam, it will appear here shortly!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first saw those pictures here http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2005/10/dubai_then_and_.html
but I don't know if they're his or someone elses.

November 14, 2005 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to know the dates for the 2 photos. They actually reminded me of my 2 childhood visits to Orlando (1977 and 1984), where deserted roads with attractions/hotels on scattered lots on my first visit were suddenly incorporated and 'downtown' on the next.

November 15, 2005 6:00 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Looks like 1991 and 2005?

November 15, 2005 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'after' pic looks more like late 2003/early 2004.

I reckon the 'before' pic is much earlier ... 1987/88 perhaps.

I grew up & live in Dubai so those pictures made me smile (and long for days when driving on the Sheikh Zayed Road wasn't a traumatic experience!).

November 16, 2005 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'before' picture must be around 1979/80 just after the Trade Centre and related Apartments (foreground) were completed.
I have a 1990 aerial photo of the Emirates Golf Club which I'll try and post. Water everywhere from a phenomenal rain storm.

November 20, 2005 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found these images on the BBC website. They credit the photographer as Pier Pistocchi, and date the images from 1991 and 2005.

You can see my blog post about this here.

June 27, 2006 2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the fortune to visit the dubai GP of the past few years everytime I go back Dubai looks totally different. Most definalty one of the fastest growing places at th moment

September 11, 2006 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment