David Maisel Interview

About two months ago I came across the photography of David Maisel, and I was instantly blown away. I started posting excerpts from his various photographic series up on BLDGBLOG – before he and I eventually got in touch.


So I decided to interview him for Archinect, another site I'm involved with, and the result of that decision was a lengthy and interesting telephone conversation, some email exchanges, and a visit to his studio out in Sausalito, CA (roughly 20 minutes after seeing the Bay Model).
That interview is now up and public.
If you get a chance, swing by and see some incredible images – and read about the draining of Owens Lake, the land art implications of mine leaching heaps, Icelandic hydropower, whether or not photographers are ever tempted to use pollution as a way to spice up an empty photograph... and much more.


The interview is here – and David's website is here. Enjoy!

Comments are moderated.

If it's not spam, it will appear here shortly!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have greatly enjoyed both the interesting information as well as the aesthetic of BLDGBLOG and am super happy I pestered for an RSS link to make it a regular part of my web experience. Being a resident of the bay area I also appreciate this most recent focus of postings. Last but not least, I have to admit that it gave me a fanboy kind of rush when I saw that Edward Tufte finally found your site and plugged in in his AskET forum. Great work!

March 21, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Wow. Stoked! Thanks for pointing it out. And thanks for the thoughts about BLDGBLOG.

March 21, 2006 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've known this artist for some time.
he's got some striking works.
a part from the landscape ones,
i was amazed by his "dust" works.
-those are metal box - where the remains of unclaimed people who died are stored, with time the chemical reaction made this boxes become like some kind of mysterious chartographic item, a must see

March 22, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

moon - The Library of Dust is an amazing project, and David talks about it a bit in the interview, including the archival history of the canisters and what their eventual fate may be. Interesting stuff!

March 22, 2006 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment