Converging on Los Angeles

In case anyone reading this happens to be in Los Angeles over the next few days, I'll be flying back to that city of individualized car geographies tomorrow to give a talk at UCLA's Hammer Museum alongside National Book Critics Circle Award-winning author Lawrence Weschler.
We'll be celebrating the paperback reissue of Weschler's Everything That Rises: A Book of Convergences, published by McSweeney's.
The event takes place Wednesday, October 10; it's free, open to the public, and it starts at 7pm.
So, sure, it's just another event in a huge city somewhere in the 21st century, but I think it'll be a great time and I can't wait! Los Angeles! Lawrence Weschler! UCLA!
It's free!
If you need further convincing, just take a long look at Weschler's book about the Museum of Jurassic Technology, Mr. Wilson's Cabinet Of Wonder: Pronged Ants, Horned Humans, Mice on Toast, and Other Marvels of Jurassic Technology...

Comments are moderated.

If it's not spam, it will appear here shortly!


Blogger Bill Lindeke said...

forgive me for not knowing, but what's the photograph?

October 09, 2007 1:28 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

It's actually an "artificial island terminal" off the coast of Brazil. So... no LA connection, really. Just cool.

October 09, 2007 11:10 AM  
Blogger mv said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 09, 2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger Michael Weintraub said...

I should be able to come. Looking forward to seeing you again.

October 10, 2007 1:12 AM  
Blogger Steve Silberman said...

This will be amazing -- Ren is a genius. Wish I could be there. Please give him my regards.

October 10, 2007 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m fascinated by your blog, I see that you were in Florence times ago. I'm an italian painter and i sign your blog on mine. see you in my little Italy

October 10, 2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Hey, Michael - it'll be good to see you. Be sure to say hey.

And, Steve, Weschler and I will be doing this event again in San Francisco next week, so I hope we'll see you there! If this is the Steve I think it is.

And thanks, Enrico. That photo of Florence is not mine, however; it's from Flickr. I was in Florence in 1997, on the other hand...

Hope to see some people soon - I'm getting nervous...

October 10, 2007 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, i just showed david wilson's daughter something on your blog a week ago (i read it sporadically), as reference for to a puppet show we are making, and you were practically in LA! and it was before the I-5 madness trapped us at Calarts; we could have so easily made the talk. sad!

October 15, 2007 3:45 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Too bad you couldn't make it. I'll be back in LA next month, though, to give a talk at SCI-Arc, in case you're around. I'll announce that within a week or two.

What part of the blog were showing David's daughter? Just curious.

Say hello to LA for me.

October 15, 2007 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment