Barbican Update

[Image: From Code 46, courtesy of United Artists (via)].

Next week's event at the Barbican just got even better, with the addition of Mark Tildesley, production designer for Code 46, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, The Constant Gardener, 24 Hour Party People, Millions, and many others, including Richard Curtis's forthcoming film The Boat That Rocked.
I'll be interviewing director Michael Winterbottom and Mark Tildesley both after a screening of their film Code 46. The event has already sold-out, but if you've got your ticket I hope you're in for a great conversation! For those of you who can't make it, the event will be videotaped and I should be able to host that on BLDGBLOG within a few weeks.
Also, if you heard about the event here, come up and say hello – I'd love to see who's reading the site in London these days.

More information: Code 46.

Comments are moderated.

If it's not spam, it will appear here shortly!


Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Geoff

I've been reading BLDGBLOG for ages, and you've even featured some friends of mine at one point - semiconductor. I live in London and would've loved to come to Barbican on monday, but have to go to Darwin Now opening at the same time.
I just wanted to let you know, in case you're around for a few days - i have a show in brighton, an hour south of london, where i have built three shacks - each housing a 16mm film of three other environments out in the wilderness created by others - two by individuals living in isolation in scotland, the third an abandoned film set in North Norway, a couple hundred miles into the arctic circle. Seemed like something that might be of interest to you..? The shacks are all built out of found materials, so they're quite fun - in the spirit of clarence schmidt and many others

http://www.permanentgallery.com/?p=183/

http://www.measure.org.uk/show13/ex_13_intro.html/

well, as i say, if you're around for a while and need a day trip...it's not open mon-wed but can be easily arranged

November 21, 2008 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In London and regretting the miss...
Please post it online ASAP!

November 22, 2008 7:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Geoff -
I was at the event tonight and though it was really good - its a great movie, and some interesting questions afterwards too. Sorry i din't get to say hi after - you seemed pretty popular, and i had to shoot off! Hope to catch you soon though.

Paul

November 24, 2008 7:25 PM  
Blogger morpau said...

Hi Geoff,
I was there at the Barbican. I enjoyed the movie and the conversation and would like to make a couple of comments…
I found quite interesting that those who live in the city were 'inside' and all the rest were living 'outside'. Usually to be ‘inside’ means to the jailed, but in the movie it had a positive meaning – there were check points to cross to the ‘bad’ side... while within the city people move more or less ‘freely’, as someone mentioned. But, as I live in London… I see borders everywhere! The taxi drivers have borders, the bus drivers have borders, the post officers have borders, and so on and so on…
Is the city a place to be free?
Another fact of the movie: in the ‘outside’, both the people and the buildings are ugly and poor, but still… in the end, where do the lovers go when her dream becomes real? Not to the city, right?
Is the city a place to live our dreams?

November 24, 2008 8:32 PM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Glad you both made it to the event - thanks for coming out. Paulo, I do think that the "freedom" experienced by the city dwellers in Code 46 - as well as in "real" cities like London - is a very truncated one, hemmed in by constant security checks and bio-ID scanners and so on; but that only adds to the complication of the film, and makes it worth discussing in more detail.

Ben, it's a bit of a crazy week for me so I won't be able to make it down to Brighton; but I've checked out those links and will spend more time later today looking at your work. Thanks for pointing it out!

November 25, 2008 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff,

I took some pics at the event, you could see them at http://weblog770.livejournal.com/22356.html

& if you are still in town, make sure you go visit UVA's xmas lights in convent garden.

happy thanksgiving~

November 27, 2008 7:26 PM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Hey Trevor - Thanks for the photos. I am still in London, actually, but I've got a pretty crazy 24 hours ahead of me; I'll see if I can make it to Covent Garden.

November 28, 2008 1:37 AM  

Post a Comment