Postopolis! LA Update

Postopolis! LA has been gathering pace over the past few weeks, despite the silence, so it seemed like high time for an update. Although we're still finalizing both the schedule and the list of speakers, it's looking amazing so far.

[Image: Logo by Joe Alterio].

The whole thing kicks off in less than two weeks, running from Tuesday, March 31, to Saturday, April 4, and from 5pm-11pm everyday.
The venue has finally been announced, as well: we'll be up in the sky, watching the sun set every evening from the rooftop pool, deck, and bar of the Standard Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The event is free and open to everyone, with a cash bar and free wifi, so come on down for some landscape and architecture, bring your favorite wireless device, and wear your Speedo or bikini if you want to use the pool (it's more like a wading pool, FYI). And, of course, we'll be keeping our fingers crossed for no rain.
The list of speakers, as it now stands, includes unbelievably interesting people. Here's a glimpse:That's nowhere near the final list, though, as we've also got a handful of media panels planned for Saturday, April 4; these will include Matt Chaban from the Architect's Newspaper, Dakota Smith from Curbed LA, Greg J. Smith of Serial Consign & Vague Terrain, journalist Alissa Walker, a variety of Archinect school bloggers, and many, many more.
So stay tuned for more updates.
And, don't forget, Postopolis! LA will be hosted by BLDGBLOG, City of Sound, mudd up!, Plataforma Arquitectura/Arch Daily, Subtopia, and we make money not art, under the organization of the Storefront for Art and Architecture and the sponsorship of ForYourArt.
Hope to see you there!

Comments are moderated.

If it's not spam, it will appear here shortly!


Blogger Derrick said...

LA and New York get all the interesting events... never any love for Philly or Boston...

March 19, 2009 12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wholly off topic, I saw this article about reclaiming Vermont's lost roads and wondered what your take would be on it.

March 19, 2009 11:33 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

Thanks, magid - great link! The New York Times covered the same story last spring, and I wrote it up here on the blog: Ancient Roads. I was just thinking about that story last week, actually, when I was in New England.

March 19, 2009 1:54 PM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

PS: Derrick, if you ever want to organize a Postopolis! Philadelphia, let me know (BLDGBLOG was born there in an apartment at 20th and Race, overlooking the moon-landing unit on display in the lawn of the Franklin Institute).

March 19, 2009 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm out of San Diego, great to get the 411 on this event. I myself erect high rise buildings here in the San Diego area mainly for Bosa Developement. Would appreciatte your feed back on my blog anytime.

Respectfully

Giovanni

March 19, 2009 8:45 PM  
Blogger Derrick said...

I actually would love to do something like that. I feel that there isn't nearly enough events outside of New York, never mind Philly... I've wanted to get start something of some value but don't know where to start at all!

March 19, 2009 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Standard. We were just there a few weeks ago. Incredible view up there. I miss L.A.

Derrick - I hear ya. I lived in and around Philly for awhile and now live in Boston. I wouldn't exactly call either city a font of creativity, and in Boston's case particularly, lacks a love of any architecture that's not red brick. Only this town would fight a Renzo Piano museum.

March 19, 2009 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I'm jealous. The Postopolis in NYC two years ago was incredible. I'd swing by for the purpose of hearing one speaker and then stay all afternoon. And how great was the Storefront for Art and Architecture for a venue? (Though I remember it was super hot that weekend - made it all the more like an architectural sweat lodge or vision quest.) Wish I could be there in LA for this one. Have fun!

March 20, 2009 10:30 AM  
Blogger David said...

This is awesome! I'll be there to philosophize. The postpolis event website says it starts on the 29th, geoff says 31st; which is it?

March 20, 2009 3:18 PM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

It starts Tuesday, March 31 - the Storefront site is in error.

Tuesday, March 31, at 5pm, it all kicks off.

See you there!

March 20, 2009 3:58 PM  
Blogger Jc said...

You've done postopolis NY and LA, I think the obvious next step is in Chicago. Would be quite sweet.

I would love to hitch-hike my unemployed self out to LA to see this. Anybody have space on a floor or couch for me to crash?

March 22, 2009 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usually the Standard charges $20 to get up to the rooftop bar. Are we going to have to pay each night?

Also - wondering if/when a schedule of speakers will be made available?

Thanks! Really looking forward to attending.

March 23, 2009 2:35 PM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

No, my understanding is that there will no cover charge - it will be free to attend. I'll confirm this, though, and make sure to post the info again here.

And the schedule is coming soon - it will be up this week. It's looking great.

March 23, 2009 2:38 PM  
Blogger James Rojas said...

Where are the artist,groups representing people of color on this list??? Who every put this list together does not understand the Los Angeles.

James Rojas

April 02, 2009 11:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,
It was great meeting you at last weekend, just want to say
thanks for allowing me to capture your soul :-)

Enjoy!

deMonica Orozco
www.demonicaphoto.com

http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/31052/la-steps-out/

April 10, 2009 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment