I was excited to read that Robert Macfarlane, a writer whose work I always look forward to and whose book The Wild Places remains one of my favorite books of the last five years, is apparently writing a book "about subterranea and the worlds beneath our feet." No release date yet, but certainly something to watch out for. Hopefully he'll include a trip to Nottingham.

(Thanks to Nicola Twilley for the tip).

Comments are moderated.

If it's not spam, it will appear here shortly!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Wikipedia: "Macfarlane is presently writing Landmarks, a book of essays about language and place; and Underland, an exploration of subterranean worlds and cultures, which includes among its subjects limestone, claustrophobia, the baroque, cataphilia and urban exploration." I can't wait.

July 18, 2013 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a Nottingham-born guy, Geoff, and educated at the High School, from which one could throw a stone to Peel Street. So lets hope so!

David

July 19, 2013 8:19 AM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Geoff, based on the acknowledgements section of The Old Ways, it seems like MacFarlane is a fan of your work too. Perhaps, while he's researching Underland, you should put him in touch with @Goblinmerchant over at Oxford--for an education on the anthropology of the cataphile and/or the experimental cartography of Nakatomi space. ;-)

July 22, 2013 2:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd recommend this book by him & one of my favourite artists Stanley Donwood: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holloway-Robert-Macfarlane/dp/0571302718

Apparently Donwood cast his own letters from lead to use on an old press to create the numbered copies of the special edition

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may/23/making-book-lump-lead-holloway

July 26, 2013 10:57 AM  
Blogger Emily Brisse said...

Will be finding my way to this book. Thanks!

July 29, 2013 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in his seminar class and that's how I came to find out about your blog because he put it on a list of links for us to check out. So I think he checks this, presumably every now and then.

August 06, 2013 11:45 AM  
Blogger Geoff Manaugh said...

I've been massively offline while traveling for the last two months, so I am late to the conversation here but I wanted to say just a quick thanks for the comments.

Peter, I haven't actually read the Holloway book yet, although the holloway chapter of Wild Places is one of my favorites; and, David, it's great to see you here, and hopefully to see you in Robert's forthcoming book, as well...

Wayne, Nakatomi space makes up a core part of the current book I am writing about burglary and architecture—stay tuned! It will be ages before it's out (Christmas 2014?), but I'm very excited about it.

August 12, 2013 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment